THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED AND DONATED TOWARDS KOSI CLIMB FOR KIDS!
Almost 120 participants walked the 13km round-trip to the summit, enjoying a wonderfully sunny yet windy day on the mountain. To read more about the day visit our blog here. And to view our Kosi Climb for Kids Photo Album on our Facebook page click here.
Summit Australia’s highest mountain for a cause - to help provide a child with quality education and a community with hope and empowerment.
Kosi Climb for Kids is an all-day event hosted by School for Life to raise awareness and much-needed funds for the children and communities in rural parts of Uganda.
Children in rural parts of Uganda walk anywhere between 10 – 13km a day to get to school. The climb from Thredbo to the Summit of Mount Kosciuszko is a 13km round trip and will give you the opportunity to walk in the footsteps of these students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Kosciuszko's summit is 2,228 metres above sea level. You will start at the Valley Terminal, take the chairlift to Eagles Nest Lookout and walk 6.5km to the Summit and back again to Eagles Nest Lookout.
The walk involves 4-5 hours of gradual walking. There are stops along the way where you can have a break and take in the amazing view! The walk is along a mesh and paved walkway with some steps and uphill and downhill sections. The sweeping views are break taking, the scenery magnificent and the mountain air clean and fresh!
Participants are asked to fundraise $240 per person.
Every dollar goes a long way in Uganda and your fundraising will go towards feeding a child three nutritious meals a day for TWO years – that’s only 30c a day or $10 a month!
In Uganda, most kids only get one meal per day at 4pm so most go to school on an empty stomach. SFL provides breakfast, morning tea and lunch as well as clean, safe drinking water.
As an individual:
- RAISE $240 to provide a child with the stationery, textbooks and educational materials they need to be educated for an entire year.
- RAISE $360 to feed a child three nutritious meals a day at school for THREE years – that’s only 30c a day or $10 a month! SFL ensures breakfast, morning tea and lunch along with clean, safe drinking water so students can concentrate and grow strong and healthy.
- RAISE $624 to pay for a Primary School student to go to school for an ENTIRE year with a ratio of 1 teacher to 20 students, quality learning materials and stationery, a uniform, school excursions and extra-curricular activities as well as healthcare.
As a family or a team:
- RAISE $1,248 to provide a Secondary Student with everything needed for an entire year of education, including all learning materials, healthcare, uniforms and three nutritious meals a day, clean water and extra-curricular activities such as excursions, drama, art and music.
- RAISE $2,472 to pay for a teacher’s wages for a whole year, which covers their meals, accommodation and ongoing training for further professional development. Building a school is the easy part, providing quality education requires well trained and remunerated teachers.
- RAISE $5500 to fit out one of our classrooms with desks, storage and shelves to prepare for a new class of students in 2019.
- RAISE $6000 to build a new teacher house on site to attract and retain excellent staff. Teachers are the backbone of our work in Uganda – they are role models, mentors and help shift mindset in the entire community around social issues.
- RAISE $10,000 to purchase computers to increase computer literacy and employment prospects in the future as well as connect our community to the internet to further enrich their learning.
- RAISE $26,000 to build a 250,000L water tank to provide clean drinking water to the entire community, decreasing student absenteeism and waterborne viruses.
OUR EVENT PARTNERS
Special thanks to all the individuals and businesses that have helped us put this event together. Without you, this wouldn't be possible!